12 março 2014

Explosion in USA on Wednesday, 12 March, 2014 at 14:59 (02:59 PM) UTC.

An explosion occurred today in a building in Manhattan's East Harlem neighborhood, collapsing at least part of the structure and injuring at least 11. Plumes of thick smoke have engulfed the area around the building at 116th Street and Park Avenue after residents reported hearing a loud explosion around 9:30 a.m. 

Shattered windows in nearby shopfronts show the extent of the explosion, which may have been caused by a gas leak, according to ABC station WABC. A fire was reported in the building and the structural integrity of the structure may be compromised, with witnesses reporting a partial roof collapse. There are no reports of anyone trapped inside at this time. 

Harlem Hospital told WABC they are treating one patient with "heavy trauma" and expecting one more. The other victims reportedly suffered minor injuries. An FDNY source told ABC News that one burn victim in very critical condition. Residents in the area are posting pictures of the building on social media.

Updated onWednesday, 12 March 2014 at 02:02:52 PM

As many as 11 people have been injured in the collapse of two buildings in Harlem Wednesday after an explosion, according to media reports. CNN reports that Con Edison, the New York utilities company, had been called to the site on 116th Street in East Harlem to check a possible gas leak just before the explosion. Fire billowing from the scene was visible for blocks. 

CNN reports as many as 11 people suffered minor injuries. Four people have reportedly been hospitalized. One of the buildings housed a piano repair shop with apartments above, and the second housed a Spanish Christian church, WCBS reports. Metro-North service was suspended, officials said, since debris from the building -- reportedly five or six stories tall -- anded on the elevated train tracks, 

The New York Times reports. WABC says residents reported hearing a large explosion in an apartment building around 9 a.m. ET. It says fire was reported in the building and residents were seeing smoke in the area.